What is Difference between Storyboard and XIB!
- In simple words Storyboard is one single file for all the views or screens that in yours apps.
- It transitions one screen to another screen.
- It minimizes (reduces) the number of files in your apps.
- Storyboard can put the XIB files.
- Storyboard is universal; that means your apps can run both iPhone and iPad.
- In Storyboard you can also used XIB if you need it in Storyboard.
- Storyboard contains all the controllers, like tool bar, view controller, ant tab bar.
- Storyboard is good for seeing how the controllers connect to each other.
- In Storyboard merging the view and controller is very easy.
- If you don’t want to use Storyboard when creating a new project then you can avoid it by unchecking the Storyboard option.
Disadvantages of Storyboard
- There are so many disadvantages to using Storyboard that are explained here.
- Not compatible with pre iOS 5.
- In my opinion, in Storyboard it is hard to work if the project is too long because every member in a team modifies and updates the file.
- In Storyboard if you have too many views then Storyboard can be confusing.
- It is less flexible.
- In Storyboard you don’t have a file owner.
- In my opinion Storyboard is a loosely coupled object into a big file.
- In Storyboard using table cell is better then XIB because it gives more flexibility.
- In Storyboard it is not easy to handle if you have a large amount of code. It is useful only for a small amount of code.
- XIB is Mac OS x interface builder. It allows Cocoa Touch and Carbon Touch.
- In XIB the result is stored as a NIB file.
- It is the part of X code.
- In XIB there is no flow of control and transition between the view and controller.
- In XIB modularity is done in a very nice way.
- It contains item like buttons, text fields, labels.
- In XIB it gives you more flexibility, and simplicity in terms of code.
Disadvantage of XIB
- There are many disadvantages of XIB that are explained here.
- In XIB if there is any bug in making a connection then it is to hard too debug.
- In XIB merging is too difficult compared to Storyboard.
- In XIB if we have a dynamic view then it is hard to read compared to Storyboard.