Android 6.0 Marshmallow (API 23)
Release date October 5, 2015
- Contextual search from keywords within apps.
- Introduction of Doze mode, which reduces CPU speed while the screen is off in order to save battery life
- App Standby feature
- Alphabetically accessible vertical application drawer
- Application search bar and favorites
- Native fingerprint reader support
- Direct Share feature for target-specific sharing between apps
- Renamed “Priority” mode to “Do Not Disturb” mode
- App Linking for faster instinctive opening of links with corresponding applications
- Larger Application folders with multiple pages
- Post-install/run-time permission requests
- USB-C support
- Demo Mode feature for screenshot-capture usage
- Automatic full data backup and restore for apps
- 4K display mode for apps
- Adoptable External storage to behave like Internal Storage (However, this causes more actual problems than the hypothetical ones it was probably designed to solve.
- MIDI support for musical instruments
- Experimental multi-window feature
- Support for actions by third-party apps in the text selection menu
- App permissions now granted individually at run-time, not all-or-nothing at install time.
- Miracast support dropped
- Unicode 7.0 & 8.0 emoji support.
- Descriptions for USB connection options
- Double-tap power button to open camera