Node.js can be used to build different types of applications such as command line application, web application, real-time chat application, REST API server etc. However, it is mainly used to build network programs like web servers, similar to PHP, Java, or ASP.NET.
what makes Node.js different I am going to explain.
- It’s easy to get started and can be used for prototyping and agile development
- It provide fast and highly scalable services
- Source code more cleaner and consistent.
- Large ecosystem for open source library.
- It has Asynchronous or Non blocking nature.
- let’s understand the other two lines so we can find out why Node.js is so popular.
- I/O refers to input/output. It can be anything ranging from reading/writing local files to making an HTTP request to an API.
- I/O takes time and hence blocks other functions.
In the blocking method, user2’s data request is not initiated until user1’s data is printed to the screen.
On the other hand, using a non-blocking request, you can initiate a data request for user2 without waiting for the response to the request for user1. You can initiate both requests in parallel.
This non-blocking I/O eliminates the need for multi-threading since the server can handle multiple requests at the same time.
What is NPM – npm (Node package manager) has packages you can use in your apps to make your development faster and efficient.
- Easy Scalability:
- Real time web apps:
- Fast Suite:
- Easy to learn and code:
- Advantage of Caching:
- Data Streaming:
- Hosting: Corporate Support: